Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Here's the Real Question - and It's for All of Us



NPR recently announced they were going to focus on the most important question of the 2012 Presidential race: what is the role of government?

I disagree. I think the most important question we ought to be asking is “What kind of society do we want to build?”

As a parent of three, I would restate it again. “What kind of society do I want for my kids and their future?”

I think about the vision cast by Romney and Ryan. Their speeches were caustic, misleading and self-righteous. They promise a return to America as a land of plenty and the stand-alone super power in the world.

I am not opposed to a more robust economy. I welcome it, and for many reasons. First, those who are most harmed by this down economy are not the likes of Romney, Ryan or Obama. It is those who were already struggling, already weak in our society who have truly suffered and lost. Second, when there is opportunity that stretches across gender, race, religion and political affiliation our nation as a whole is less anxious. We make better decisions and are more open to one another.

I don’t think anyone would make an argument against regaining our economic footing and growing all of our wealth.

Ah, that’s the trouble. Is the recovery going to be for everyone, or only those who have, up until now, continued to accrue and build up more wealth? 

In terms of the Romney/Ryan vision, I remain skeptical. Their divisiveness alarms me, as does Ryan’s budget that builds a society that does not have programs or provisions for the struggling folks. Their adamant insistence against abortion, birth control and attack on women’s health care is more than troubling. Finally, their insistence on the insertion of God, Church and right religion into making public policy is far beyond my comfort zone. 

Definitely not what I want for my kids.

Listening to Michelle Obama speak at the DNC we begin to see a glimpse of how the Obama/Biden vision will be presented. Her speech was beautiful, smart and seemingly intimate and personal. I cried.

But I couldn’t help thinking, when she said to loud fanfare and applause, that “Barack Obama doesn’t think that success is just measured by how much money you make, but by the impact you’ve had on the lives of others,” that such a statement is so easy to make for those with abundance and plenty.

Making a difference in the lives of others is a powerful feeling. I have and do experience it. But when push comes to shove, those feelings don’t pay for my kid’s swim team fees or buy groceries.

I hate to say it, but I suspect that even with the humble beginnings of our President and First Lady, none of the candidates understand the way most of us live. 

It is up to us. We need to be in discussion with one another, outside the boundaries set by political parties and religious affiliation, about who we want to be and how we intend to conduct ourselves.

Economy and jobs is critical, without question, but what else are we missing?

Gender equality, equal pay for equal work, open access to health care, women’s choice, sexual autonomy, human rights for all, excellent public education for everyone, respect and dignity to all simply because we are people, reduction of religious rhetoric of judgment and absolute statements about who is good and who is not.

These are just a few things I consider important. What about you?

What kind of society do you want to build?

And, what are you willing to do to get it?

No comments:

Post a Comment