Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Miss Tinsel



My entire body was tilted back and down. Sunglasses blocked the intruding light that was floating directly over my face. I couldn’t speak as fingers, suction tubes and drills were pulled in and out of my mouth. I swore I felt drool sliding over my erratically positioned lips and down my cheek. Grunting, I pointed to the spot and tried to say “drool” which came out “ouool”. The doctor looked. “Nothing there,” he said smiling. Silly me.

I was in the dentists chair this morning for the second time in the same number of weeks. In case you missed that, it’s 2 visits in 2 weeks – both for a crown. The first was “just” a cracked tooth, today was a full on break. Lovely.

So there I am, lying in a head down position with my mouth occupied by gooey gunk and a 5 minute timer ticking away in back of me. The doc is washing up, chatting pleasantly when suddenly he declares “October 24th! Oh my God! It’s almost November.”

Yes, it is almost November and with it a swift move to the holidays. The season of giving, getting, wanting, griping and endless Christmas carols – or rather, Holiday music – is around the corner.

Doc continued. “I’m just not ready for the holidays to come. It’s too soon. There’s too much to do, too much to prepare and buy… and the hustle and bustle… all the parties and gatherings and expectations… and family!” He made a sound like a muzzled animal. “Ah… family during the holidays”.

Almost as if he remembered he was not alone, he turned and looked at me. “Are you ready for them AmyJo? For God’s sake, it was just August!”

Having no real ability to respond, I used my eyebrows and deep guttural prrr to try to communicate “Yes!” Of course I’m ready for my favorite time of year!”

When I was in high school my best friend gave me the title of “Miss Tinsel”. It stuck. I love the season of Thanksgiving through Christmas and New Year. When I was young it was magical and filled with music, cookies, yummy smells, Grandma & Grandpa and a glass of soda on Christmas Eve.

As the years passed, the reason for my exuberance has changed, but I still have it. 

I can relate to the Scrooges, bah humbugs and to people who hate the season. I have experienced the anxiety swirling around family gatherings, the comparison of children and the evaluation of lives, looks and current body size.  The numerous parties that demand our attention, hostess gifts, another well put together outfit, correctly selected gift and on and on it goes.   

There is a lot about the Holiday Season that can be difficult, sad and hurtful while also producing anxiety and even shame.

Yet amidst the flurry of gifts that are sung about, advertised for and written down on wish-lists, there really are gifts to be found during the months of November and December.

On November 16, 2012 I will offer a 7 module video course that guides you through the weeks leading up to the Celebration of the Yule, of light and abundance. These videos will assist you in facing those aspects of the upcoming holidays that give you the butterflies and the dreads, and will give you applicable tools to overcome them. At the end of these four sessions, you will find yourself ready and filled with positive anticipation for all that occurs between November 22 and January 1.

More information will come about how to access this fun, engaging, lighthearted romp toward the holidays that will give you the tools necessary to have the best Season of Giving ever!  Stay Tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment